Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Things Isabel Taught Me

(From Several Years Back...) Unless you spent all of last week in some kid of weird cryogenic chamber, you no doubt saw a number of rain-slickered news reporters flailing in the winds of Hurricane Isabel. As much as I'd like to deny any involvement in this time honored cliché, I cannot. I spent all of last week in the shore-side hamlet of Pine Knoll Shores, where I and five other colleagues parked our garishly-painted satellite truck at the foot of the Iron Steamer Pier. All week long we up-linked customized live shots to Fox stations all over the country, as well as a handful of ABC affiliates in the Southeast. We even did a live shot for that bastion of frivolity, "Good Day Live!" If you were by some chance forced to watch this nationally-syndicated tripe-fest on Thursday and saw a cute and perky reporter named Shannon Smith go LIVE(!) from the North Carolina shore, might I suggest you immediately go have your eyes rinsed out with cold tap water.

Now, Hurricane Isabel wasn't THE BIG ONE, nor was it the first time I've ventured out in Mother Nature's wrath in the name of higher ratings. Those of you who know me well may remember my Kitty Hawk adventures in 1993, when a Hurricane by the name of Gordon bitched-slapped me and high-dollar camera into temporary sea-soaked oblivion. While nothing that dramatic happened with Isabel, the week was replete with all the hallmarks of 21st century storm coverage: from the stoked surfers chasing the perfect wave (or at least pretending to long enough to get on camera), to the stoic locals pledging to ride it out (all while boarding up anything that didn't move), to the giddy media sticking cameras and microphones in everyone's grill (until there was no one else to interview but each other, a sure sign of the coming apocalypse). Now, I don't want to sound like an innocent bystander -it's my chosen profession to document the tragic and the trite and Isabel afforded me the chance to snap out of my usual feel-good coma, and dig on a real story for a change.Having said that, here are the...Top Ten Things I learned covering Hurricane Isabel.

1) Fishing Pier Employees are NOT Preoccupied with Dental Hygiene.
I met some good people at the Iron Steamer Pier but none of them will ever threaten the livelihoods of any toothpaste model. In fact, to a person, they all sported smiles reminiscent of the rough-edged planks that made up their beloved pier. Must be part of their benefits package. If you're ever at The Iron Steamer Pier, check out the wall of Polaroid’s behind the counter. My group will be the one with the brightly logo'ed rain wear and all our own teeth.

2) Expensive Electronics and Driving Rain Don't Mix.
No mystery there, but I cannot tell you how difficult it is to keep your
average TV camera up and operational when it's raining up your nose. For all the customized camera rain-covers out there, nothing beats trash bags and duct tape. Perhaps my station should invest in one of those Plexiglas Pope Mobiles, or buy up all those useless telephone booths that so litter our nation. The pay phones in them certainly don't work.

3) The Bigger the Market, the Cheesier the Anchor.
Like I said, we did satellite live shots for stations across the country, from L.A. to Tampa to Philly to Vegas and all points in between. Without fail, the bigger the city, the more over-affected and cartoon-like the anchor's voice on the other line. I heard enough booming voices and over-enunciation to last a lifetime - or at least until I do another self-serving piece on the local Top 40 radio station. Or a profile on the visiting tent evangelist. Like Sting says, they all sound like game show hosts to me.

4) Eat Enough Granola Bars and You'll Soon Welcome Starvation.
With all reasonable-minded folks headed inland, all seaside restaurants and stores sit vacant behind a sheath of hastily erected plywood. This leaves your friendly media crew sifting through its own meager rations, and what seemed like a good idea on aisle five quickly proves otherwise. At one point some National Guardsmen offered me an M-R-E, citing the plugging qualities of said dried foodstuffs. Thanks, but I'm not quite ready to eat a meal based solely on the bowel movement it produces. Not yet, anyway.

5) When Facing Danger & Discomfort, Pick your Playmates Wisely.
Imagine teaming up with five of your least favorite co-workers for an
extended trip into the Great Unknown. That's what covering a hurricane with the office asshole can be like, and in times past, personal conflicts have caused much more trouble than hundred miles an hour winds. I was lucky this time. Everyone on board was a veteran of prior storms and a good buddy to boot. Who needs an expensive Outward Bound excursion to build employee morale? At the end of our trip we had enough group hugs to fill up a Hallmark commercial.

6) The Media's Appetite for Over-Hyped Clichés Knows No Bounds.
Again, no real news flash there - but I was a bit flummoxed by all the
verbal hackwork pouring from my soaking-wet earpiece. "Residents are
battening down the hatches as Mother Nature's Fury takes aim at the Crystal Coast" And how about all those second references? I heard Hurricane Isabel called "Dizzy Izzy", and "The Angry Lady". But my favorite was some yak on The Weather Channel, who kept referring to the approaching weather system as "The Malevolent Cyclops" What is that? A Pink Floyd bootleg? A Dean Koontz Novel?

7) The Southern Side of a Category 2 Hurricane is Nothing to Sneeze At.
Much was made of Isabel's previous Category 5 status, and some of my ilk were pooh-poohing the downgraded punch it packed onshore. But even the comparatively safer side of the hurricane that passed by us made it rain sideways for about 18 hours and anything that wasn't nailed down became an instant projectile. It's my belief that the only person allowed to trash-talk a hurricane better has an "S" on his chest. As for me, my suits at the cleaners

8) Local Law Enforcement CAN Be Bought Off With enough Logo Wear.
I won't name any names, but let's just say the Pine Knolls Shore Police Department has a brand new collection of assorted FOX NEWS ball caps. Move any higher up the law enforcement tree and you have to dig a little deeper. That being said, don’t pull that crap with any State Troopers. They'll take your swag and re-pay you with a new pair of shiny, oversized matching bracelets if they see fit. Try asking what part of our fine state they hail from. Always seems to throw them off.

9) Viewers DO Want To See News People Pelted by Mother Nature.
I know, I know - it's stupidity in action, but research and ratings show, for the most part, people LOVE to see reporters and anchor types bracing themselves against the storm -- despite what they may claim. Whether it's our duty to put a human face on the story, or just an excuse for some good ole high-tech showboating, the viewing public tunes in in staggering numbers. At least that's what I told my reporter when I took away her umbrella.

10) Sleep Deprivation Is a Stronger Force of Nature than Hurricanes.
By the time Isabel came ashore, I was existing on four days of
four-hours-a-night sleep. Factor in long workdays and lousy food, and I was tapped out by the time the wind really picked up. Around midday on Thursday, I took advantage of a break in the broadcast and crawled in my by-then filthy Ford Explorer to try and catch some Z's. This I did with no problem, despite the fact that wind gusts of up to 100 miles per hour were rocking my news unit. About a half hour later I woke up, only because driving rain was seeping in through a tiny gap in the window and soaking my left temple. Mildly annoyed, I gave up on any slumber, hopped out of my company vehicle and trudged across the windswept parking lot to the battered satellite truck I called home.

Does that make me strange? Maybe where you work. But where I sit, a lackadaisical attitude, false sense of immortality and a good dose of gallows humor are exactly what you need to survive. I'm not defending the often stupid behavior exhibited by news people during times of crisis; in fact, I'm usually befuddled by it the most. I'm just saying that, for better or worse, I'm well-suited for this increasingly silly business. Here's hoping you enjoy your job as much as I do mine.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great service to learn about alarm car excalibur. I have a website about alarm car excalibur which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lenslinger, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on esteban guitar I somehow ended up on your page. As your Things Isabel Taught Me is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about esteban guitar, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Blog me baby! Surfing and looking for quadra ionic breeze when I ended up here. Back to the relentless searching for quadra ionic breeze.

Dale's Gmail said...

Blog me baby! Surfing and looking for ab scissor when I ended up here. Back to the relentless searching for ab scissor.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lenslinger, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on , I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about .

Anonymous said...

Hi Lenslinger...Wow! While I was searching for info on esteban guitar I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for esteban guitar. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about esteban guitar.

Anonymous said...

Hi there
Amazing blog page. It's very well written and a pleasure to read. Here's a website loaded with charter boats and fishing guides for north carolina.

See Ya
north carolina catfish fishing

Anonymous said...

Hi
Thanks for putting such a nice blog out here for all of us to read. Here's a website loaded with charter boats and fishing guides.

Regards
ocean fishing

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... pain relief tramadol 2 game play poker station Provite tooth whitening system homeowners insurance Honeywell air purifiers iv Grey satellite tv Definition of expansion slot Mega millions mass lottery Battery motorola v551 discount How long does adipex stay in the bloodstream phendimetrazine